How to take care of the nails in Chihuahuas
Chihuahuas, as a toy dog breed, tend to have some specifics regarding the normal growth and wear-off of their nails. Chihuahua’s nails grow rather fast but there might be some difficulties in means of natural wear off.
Natural wear off happens when a dog walks, runs and scratches rigid surfaces (concrete) thus reducing the length of the nails. For Chihuahuas, this process is limited because they don’t need to spend a lot of time outdoors and don’t have sufficient body mass which increases the pressure point between the nails and the surfaces. So the owners are left with nail trimming as the only solution for keeping their pet’s nails and paws healthy.
If you are unsure of what you are doing, we recommend that you rely on your trusted veterinarian or groomer.
Every Chihuahua is different so there is no strict rule as to how often their nails should be trimmed, but once every two weeks seems to be the most appropriate interval. If you are not sure whether your dog’s nails should be trimmed carefully look for ‘clicking sound’ when the pooch runs on the floor. If you hear the clicking, then it’s trimming time. Because not every owner is comfortable doing nail-trimming on his own, it’s perfectly okay to take your Chihuahua to a veterinary clinic of professional groomer to get the job done.
Take a bit of time and observe the dog’s behavior when it’s nail trimming time. If the Chihuahua feels a lot of stress when being taken to the vet or the groomer, it’s probably better if you master the technique on your own. Also, if the dog is anxious and stressed when you try to trim his nails, let it be done by someone else.
Nail trimming at home
The basic tools for the procedure are scissor type nail clippers. You need to clean and disinfect the clippers each time before and after nail trimming to prevent infections. Always choose a bright room or trim your Chihuahua’s nails outdoors because sometimes it can get messy and you won’t have to clean up afterward.
Give a lot of praise and some tasty rewards to your dog while cutting his nails so he will be as relaxed as possible. The biggest fear owners have is ‘quicking’ the nail. This happens when you cut the nail a bit deeper than you should have and the sensitive part of the nail starts bleeding. First of all, if such a thing happens don’t panic as it is far from a life-threatening condition.
Instead, grab a bit of cornstarch and apply at the spot so that the bleeding stops. If you want to avoid ‘quicking’ by any means, always look for the little notch below the surface of the nails. This area marks the ending of the quick so if you cut through this line there is no chance of harming your Chihuahua. While you cut you need to gently grab the dog’s paw and fixate it with your fingers. The first few times are the hardest, but soon enough when the routine kicks in you will see that nail trimming your pooch isn’t so difficult after all.
- Upgraded LED Pet Nail Grinder: Casfuy dog nail grinder is equipped with a highlighted LED light, which is not affected by ambient light. Allowing you to see the location of the quick so that trim in the right position. It's much clearer and safer to grind pet's nails, causing less hurt to your pet.
- Super-power & Low Noise Motor: Our LED dog nail trimmer is outfitted with an innovative motor using the latest technology, the super-power speeds ensure a fast, effective and professional grade grinding. The new superior motor produces a very low vibration and noise to keep pets calm. It helps to complete the grinding task within a few minutes.
- Advanced 2-Speed Switch & 3 Grinding Ports: The trimmer features an adjustable, low-high speed design powerful enough support heavy grinding. And with 3 ports to match small, medium, or large pets, simply choose the appropriate port and speed depending on your pet's size and nail hardness.
- Long Battery Life, Rechargeable & Portable: The cordless dog nail grinder boasts Ni-Mh battery that lasts 3 hours after a 3-hour charge. And our electric pet nail grinder is lightweight and portable, which makes it easy to maneuver the grinder to every corner of the paw.
- Recommended by Professionals: This electric pet nail grinder uses an advanced diamond drum bit to deliver the safest, most comfortable pet claw grinding. The powerful and easy-to-use pet trimmer tool is recommended by veterinarians and pet grooming professionals, truly a perfect choice for someone professional or new.
- 🐾DOG NAIL GRINDER: Our latest nail grinder motor technology has low noise(less than 50 dB) and low vibration, it will not frighten your friend rather sooth it. The dog nail grinder uses safe and effective diamond bit grinder, removing micro layer of nails away effortlessly. It also does not need replacement. Standard 3 port opening works on dogs, cats or other pets. Fully charged battery last for 4 hr of usage.
- 🐾PET NAIL CLIPPERS: Made of high quality 3.5 mm thick stainless steel, sharp enough to cleanly cut through the most thick dog nails with 1 cut. The semi-circular blade design on pet nail trimmer makes them precise. Premium steel, easy-grip slip resistance handle and security guard lock ensures safety. Hanging sockets are convenient for storage. You can always find appropriate size tool for any pet friend, dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, turtle etc.
- 🐾COMPLETE PET Nail Kit: Professionally manicure pets with complete pet nail grinding grooming set. Rechargeable dog nail grinder, large and small pet nail clipper, cat nail clippers and trimmer nail file. They work together to help you solve every nail grooming problems.
- 🐾DOG CLAW GROOMING PROCESS: First you should let your friend smell and listen to the sound of the dog nail grinders to ease up to it. A relax pet claw grooming process is the key. Then use the appropriate pet nail clipper to cut the long nails, but no too far/deep in. Next use the dog nail grinder to trim the edges uneven surfaces and smooth things out in general. Lastly use the pet nail file to polish the trimmed nails to make them shine.
- 【Safe & effective 2 speed nail grinder】 - Pecute dog claw trimmer adopted especially thick diamond grindstone cut head and 2 speeds design: 6000 RPM for trimming accurately, 6800 RPM for quickly grinding, which is safer, faster and more effective than dog nail clipper when trim pet nails, can reduce the risk of over cutting and hurting your pet.
- 【50 dB ultra quiet】 - Pecute electric nail trimmer uses a superior motor with whisper-quiet technology to promise low noise less than 50 dB and low vibration, which is a gentle and friendly pet nail groomer to keep pet calmer.
- 【1 hour quick rechargable & 4 hours work life】 - Pecute dog Nail Grinder adopted advanced 600Ma lithium battery which supports 1-hour fast charging and 240 minutes long working time. The lightweight grinder is rechargeable and has an indicator light on the bottom that turns on when charging.USB portable cable with over-charge protection.
- 【3 size ports】 - Pecute painless & smoothing Paws Grooming has three size ports,which makes it suitable for any size of pet nail and keep the pet comfort in check. Choosing an appropriate port and speed according to your pet's size and nail hardness. It would be more efficient for removing the cover to trim.
- ★ RECOMMENDED BY PROFESSIONALS: This electric pet nail grinder provides the safest, most comfortable pet claw grinding. But every dog reacts differently to having their nails groomed. If you notice signs that your dog is in serious distress, cut the session short and try again some other day.
- #1 NAIL TRIMMER FOR SMALL PETS: Designed to safely trim the nails of small pets such as kitty cats, rabbits & lapdogs, these pet nail clippers are recommended for pro groomers & pet owners doing DIY grooming.
- STAINLESS STEEL SCISSOR BLADES: The cutting blades used to craft our pet nail scissors are made out of strong stainless steel to ensure they're durable & reusable for years to come. Save money on groomer bills!
- TEXTURED ANTI-SLIP HANDLE GRIP: Lots of pet owners are wary of cutting their dog or cat's nails, but they no longer have to be. Poodle Pet nail trimmers are outfitted with rubberized handles that prevent slipping.
- QUICK SENSOR GUARD FOR SAFETY: To provide you with added peace of mind, we've also applied a quick sensor guard to the cutter blades. They're the easiest & safest pet nail clippers with quick sensor at this price.
- TOP CHOICE FOR HOME GROOMING: While the small pet nail clippers are preferred by professional groomers, they're also essentials for everyday dog & cat owners. Use the mini scissors to keep your pet's nails healthy.
- ★ RECOMMENDED BY PROFESSIONALS: The Boshel small animal pet nail clipper is an ergonomically designed Powerful and easy-to-use pet grooming tool, the nail trimmer is recommended by animal trainers, veterinarians, professional pet groomers and thousands of satisfied customers as the best pet nail clippers on amazon to use for medium and large dogs and cats.
- ★ CLEAN CUTS EVERY TIME: The pet nail clippers are made out of high quality 3.5 mm thick stainless steel sharp blades, it is powerful enough to trim your dogs or cats nails with just one cut, it will stay sharp for years to come for stress-free, smooth, quick and sharp cuts.
- ★ USER FRIENDLY DESIGN: The professional dog nail clipper is designed to keep you comfortable while grooming your pet at home, it features comfortable, easy grip, non-slip, ergonomic handles which stay safely in place in your hands to ensure ease of use and prevent accidental nicks and cuts.
- ★ SAFETY STOP SERVES AS A QUICK SENSOR: The dog grooming clippers is safely Outfitted with a safety stop blade that greatly reduces the risk of cutting nails too short and injuring your dog by cutting in to the quick.
- ★ BONUS: Free mini nail file included to file the sharp nails after cutting your dogs and cats nails ,it is placed comfortably in the left handle of the clipper.
- DOG NAIL GRINDER: Our professional-quality nail grinder is designed to safely groom the nails of dogs of all sizes. Comes with 2 interchangeable finishing stones 4 grinding bands.
- EASY TO USE: This compact, lightweight dog nail grinder features a protective adjustable cover so can safely trim your dog's nails. It's powerful but quiet & comfortable for both you & your pet!
- PET GROOMING SUPPLIES: Grooming your cat or dog is easy when you have the right tools. We make professional-quality brushes, shears, clippers, nail grinders & more to keep your pet looking great!
- MADE TO LAST: ConairPRO Dog & Cat pet grooming tools are designed with high-quality materials for durability & performance. Our brushes, combs, shedding tools, nail grinders & more are made to last!
- Share The Love: From slicker brushes, shedding tools & shampoo brushes to full home grooming kits, ConairPRO Dog & Cat makes quality grooming supplies & products to help you take care of your cat or dog. Packaging May Vary
- 【With Safety Guard】Peteast electric dog nail grinder with a safety guard helps ensure you don't trim your pet's nails too closely. Gaps in the guard meant we could tailor our approach depending on the size of the claw being tended to.this is a SAFE bet for pets!
- 【Built-in LED Light】Trimming your dog’s nails on your own can be a bit anxiety-provoking, especially if you have a hard time distinguishing the nail from the fur. This guiding light will illuminate everything you need to see to protect your puppy from any inaccuracies.
- 【Low Noise＜40DB】The noise level is similar to the buzz produced by an electric toothbrush, and it didn’t faze our test dog, allowing us to focus on the task in hand. Trimming and grinding does not hurt or irritate your dog, but the vibration and noise of the machine can scare some dogs. If possible,let them get used to the noise before starting on their paws.
- 【Powerful Motor】: This pet nail grinder features an advanced diamond bit to deliver the safest, most comfortable pet claw grinding for all sizes of nails. Also it is cordless, quiet，gentle and makes it easy to groom all breeds of cats and dogs, less stressful for anxious pets.
- 【What will you get?】The package comes with 1 dog nail trimmers, 1 grinding head, 1 dog toenail clippers, a cloth bag, a USB charging cable, and a manual.While grinding your dog’s nail can be safer than clipping, sometimes it’s helpful to keep both tools on hand.